Sunday, February 15, 2009

Saint Cupids Day Remembrance

A St. Cupid's Day Haiku:

Yes it was the norm,
Saint Cupids Day Remembered
Just another day.



Aren't haiku's fun!
Ok. Maybe not THAT fun.
As I stated in my haiku, St. Cupid's Day is just another day to me any more.
My ex-GF is in the flower business and she is pretty much against any kind of celebratory function of any romantic holiday or holiday in general. (One of the reasons she's an ex now I've now figured out...negativity just doesn't fit me). Not that I thought that there should be one single day in every 365 day span that a man woo's a woman of his choosing and decides to woo said woman because of a marketing ploy by the greetings card industry (incidently there's a 50% chance that it was thought up by a woman). Anyhoot, I don't buy into that particular ploy. When I have a significant other, she'll get woo'ed all year long at differing times in hopes that she will get the fact that she's on my mind ALL the time, not just one day out of the year. Heard a phrase recently: "You're only on my mind once a day, every day. The entire 24 hours." That pretty much sums things up for me.
So, not only was St Cupid's day just another day for the simple reason that I don't have a significant other at the moment, it's just a normal day for me anyways.
A Good example of said woo'ing is that same ex-GF's birthday one year. She didn't just have a birthday on that day! Oh no! She had 7 days worth of birthday with her actual birthday being the pinacle. Chaucer couldn't have done any better I tell ya! It sure got me laid though.

I heard a story on the radio the other day about a man who was looking for some extra cash to spend on his wife on valentines day. So, he made reservations at 10 or so swanky restaurants for Cupids day. Then, he sold said reservations to his work chums who hadn't thought so well in advance and made a cool $200 on the deal. Smart man! Apparently he used the money to sign he and his wife up for a cooking class which was to be held on Cupid's day. Maybe he wasn't so smart...

I'm sure everyone has a horror story about St Cupids day and I'm not any different in that respect. One Cupid's day, oh so long ago, I bought flowers for a nice young lady (cause I was young too). I showed up on her doorstep and she opened the door, shook my hand, and said, "Just friends! Thanks!" and closed the door in my face.
I knocked on the door again, and when she opened the door, I threw the flowers at her and said, "Yea. Just friends. Have a nice effin day." Of course, the word effin wasn't around back then, so I used the usual expletive beginning with an F, a K in the middle, and ending with a G. What's so funny about that particular chick was, she showed up at the movie theater I worked at afterwards, and asked to watch a movie. Needless to say, she didn't have any money, so she couldn't afford the ticket. It was too bad really, she was hot. I guess she just wasn't in to me because I looked like Beaker from the muppets at the time. (shut it Joni!)
Ahhh, ain't love grand!
I just recently used the remainder of a bottle of Polo my first love gave me. She loved that scent so much! It still smelled wonderful after over 20 years. Yes. It was a big bottle. I wore it when we saw each other again after the same period of time. One wonders if the other noticed. Ah well...

There you have it.
Another wonderful Saint Cupid's day goes down in the annals of History for 1 FN Handyman.
Just... like... every... other day... I survive. ;)


*****

Quote for the Day:

"That best portion of a good man's life,
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love."
-- William Wordsworth

3 comments:

1 FN HandyMan said...

Men of few words eat quiche.

Jenny said...

I locked myself inside with a pan of brownies and a pot of coffee, and a jigsaw puzzle. Nothing to report here!

1 FN HandyMan said...

lol AW! We shoulda had a singles party!