Monday, November 10, 2008

The Handshake

I'm pretty sure everyone has shaken someone's hand before. We're such a civilized country (harf!).
What exactly is a handshake, or perhaps a better question would be, What should a handshake be?

I believe it can be so much more than a greeting, an agreement binder, or a simple action that can oft times be so overlooked.
I'll tell you when I had this revelation.
I went to a bbq at a friends house several years ago. I met a young asian woman there who shook my hand. As she did so, she used both hands to grasp my hand, and held on for more than I was used to at the time.
I'm wasn't sure exactly at the time it happened, whether it was the warmth with which she completed the shake, the smile on her face, the look in her eyes, the calming sound of her voice, or a combination of all of those, but I'm quite sure now what exactly happened.
She shared her energy with me!
Whether you believe in karma, aura, soul, or whatever, I believe one CAN share their energy with others, just by a touch. Sometimes just being in close proximity to someone who is adept at sharing their energy can be enough for them to share.
It only makes sense. The human brain is ran on energy. Our thoughts are electrical impulses bouncing around between synapses. We should be able to share this "electricity" with our humanity.
Once I figured out what she had done, I started shaking hands like that.
I may not do it every time, but I do try to be conscious about it.
I suppose I don't necessarily want to share my energy with everyone, but when I'm feeling good about a situation, you'll get the double hand-handshake from me.
Try this if you want...
Hold your hands out in front of you. Close your eyes, and mentally picture the energy inside your chest. Then, take a deep breath and as you exhale slowly, picture that energy flowing from your chest to both of your hands. Concentrate on it. Keep repeating this for at least 30 seconds.
The first time I did this, my hands started to tingle. It was quite amazing really.
If you continue to practice that little exercise, I believe, you'll be on the road to sharing energy.
Now, why share your energy through a handshake?
The reason, I believe, is all of those reasons I stated at the beginning of this entry, and a much more profound one. To remind you that we as humans are all in this together. Humanity is just that, one race. The Human Race.
DUH!
"They" say that you can share your energy with other life forms as well. Try sharing your energy with an ailing plant. Just do that little exercise, while you're touching the plant. Do it once a day (make sure the FN plant is watered) and I'm willing to bet the plant will be replenished.
Share your energy while your cooking. Best of all, share your energy when making love.

The next time you shake someones hand, try grasping as you normally would, then use your other hand to cover the rest of your shakee's hand. Share some energy. I bet they'll remember you for it.


**********

Other notes for today...

The meatballs yesterday were FAN-FN-TASTIC! I hope you try them!

If you'd like to leave a comment, and you don't want to sign up for an account and use the "anonymous" thingy...please leave your name in the comment. I'd love to know who's commenting. If you don't want to and really want to be anonymous, that's ok too! :)


Here's a quote for the day:

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas? " -- Jean Kerr

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always shake hands with whomever I make love to as I walk out the door...gives it a sense of oh I don't know... Thanks for the good time! Catch ya on the rebound buddy! Maybe I should try the double fisted and shake next time. Maybe everyone will stop looking at me as if I ran over their cat??? HAHA! JK!!! Love you D. Awesome Blog babe!

J

1 FN HandyMan said...

LOL! Thanks J! :)

Anonymous said...

I am more of hugger then a hand shaker :) Do you think I give off my energy that way? :)

1 FN HandyMan said...

You can Michelle! I believe it's any kind of touch. Some people just exude too! :)

Anonymous said...

I will indeed remember to do that next time I get a limp hand shake! lol Who's to say maybe that energy will put some zap to it! ;)


~A

1 FN HandyMan said...

LOL, Right A! Zap them limp wristed hand shakers!

Anonymous said...

i took yoga for a semester in college. besides being the best class i ever took, period, (and you know i am a nerd and actually like school) we learned about breathing techniques designed to bring in certain forms of energy- heating, cooling, power, etc. it was awesome. so, yeah, it makes sense that you could give energy, too. maybe that's why my plants are so healthy. lol.
emily

1 FN HandyMan said...

Right on Emily! My aunt in GA teaches yoga! I'm sure that's why your plants are so healthy! Mine are too :)